Friday, January 21, 2011

Professional Bio

"I've finally done it!  I have found a way to help others by combining my psychology background with my love for music - something I've always wanted to do!"  


Psychology
I have been in the mental health field since 1993, teaching psychology classes, giving workshops, and providing counseling to families, couples, and individuals.  I have worked with clients in the areas of depression, anxiety, parenting, adjustment to life events, grief and loss, relationship skills, divorce recovery, abuse recovery, and general self-improvement.  

I studied with Dr. John Gray,  and have attended workshops by Dr. Albert Ellis, the American Association of Counseling and Development, Westbridge Psychiatric Hospital and Behavioral Health, and numerous trainings accredited by the National Board for Certified Counselors.

I have the following degrees and licenses:
  • B.A. in Psychology and Sociology
  • M.A. in Counseling
  • LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor)
  • LISAC (Licensed Independent Substance Abuse Counselor) 
Music
My professional music career began with piano lessons at age 5.  I have over 35 years experience teaching piano, and have been the Music Associate at Dayspring Methodist Church since 1989.  I have sung in Madrigal Groups, directed numerous handbell choirs, and have accompanied many musical productions, singers, and instrumentalists.  In my ongoing career as an accompanist, I have traveled to Europe four times, accompanying and sining in choirs in 4 countries.